Marketing automation platforms manage marketing processes and multifunctional campaigns, across multiple channels, automatically. With marketing automation, businesses can target customers with automated messages across email, web, social, and text.
Marketing automation platforms either provide CRM and Email capabilities or integrate with external CRM and email platforms. They also support multi-channel marketing via social media, website content management, digital advertising, and SMS. In addition, they deliver a suite of analytics capabilities to help today's marketers collect the information they need to scale and accelerate marketing efforts, to make each touchpoint more focused and personalized across channels, and to measure marketing impact throughout the customer journey.
Finally, for many companies, the marketing automation platform is used as the single source of customer data.
The key differentiation for marketing automation is the size of business a platform is suitable for, and level of technology sophistication needed to operate each platform. We have chosen to subcategorize marketing automation platforms by business size and type.
Within each category users evaluating systems should consider:
* Email and CRM requirements
* Additional channels supported
* Customer journey capabilities
* CDP capabilities
* Analytics features
* Relevant integrations
* Complexity of use and installation
Also to note:
1. Marketing Automation can be confusing as it is used as a descriptor for many of the digital marketing tools that automate specific functions and integrate with other tools.
2. If Email marketing is a native component of a marketing automation platform, it is listed here but is excluded from the Email Marketing category in our directory as that category is focused on automation specific only to email.